Galdamez Technology Guidelines
Technology in our home = Computers, Kindle Fires, cell phones, Nintendo DS, Xbox, iPods, iPod Touch, iPhones, Wii, televisions, DVD movies (and anything else I forgot)
· Technology usage tends to pull you away from healthy interaction with your family and isolate you to your room. It is easy to waste real life on virtual life. We need to seek out ways to engage daily in real life and relationships.
· The use of technology seems to easily become an idol, demanding more and more time and devotion and distracting you from the things of the Lord. We should each regularly ask the Lord for help in this area.
· Technology usage is a privilege, not a right.
· Up to one hour per day during week days (Monday through Thursday).
· Up to three hours per day during weekends.
· In general, technology can be used between 7:30pm and 8:30pm during weekdays, except Wednesdays – between 4 & 5.
· Allotted time cannot be used until all homework & chores are completed (i.e. dishes done, trash taken out, down stairs picked up, animals fed, clothes put away, rooms cleaned, etc…). Any chores not completed will be completed during technology time.
· Use of these technologies (especially cell phones, Kindles, iphones, DS), whether for movie watching, or texting, or video game playing should be done in a family commons areas and not in one’s room in isolation.
· All passwords to devices and internet sites (Facebook, Instagram, SnapChat, Twitter, etc…) must be known by mom and dad. Any changes to these must be immediately reported or else consequences will follow. Parents have the absolute right to monitor any and all technology usage.
· Technology devices need to be kept in the study on the desk when not being used during allotted times.
· Time should be spent with God (Bible reading/meditation, prayer) before technology is used.
· Time on Kindles for reading books is unlimited (but must be used in family areas).
· Technology should be avoided in the early mornings.