Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Are You An Expert At Defending Your Own Sins?

Humbling ourselves to hear correction can be quite difficult, and seeking it out even more so.  But do we really want to glorify Christ?  Are we truly interested in spiritual growth?  Then we should take heed the truth of Scripture that tells us that, "God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble" (Js. 4:6).

I have been listening to a sermon by Mark Dever taken from 1 Samuel 8-15.  During his conclusion he shared the following story..."It was customary for the itinerant and local preachers back in John Wesley’s day to take breakfast together in City Road, where they had their main meeting place. On one occasion when Wesley was present a young man rose and found fault with one of his seniors. And the biographer says the Scotch blood of Thomas Rankin was roused and he sharply rebuked the juvenile for his impertinence. But in turn was sharply rebuked himself, Wesley instantly replied, ‘I will thank the youngest man among you to tell me of any fault you see in me. In doing so I will consider him my best friend.’"

I pray that my Lord continues to soften me and break my pride.  "The LORD is near to the borkenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit" (Psalm 35:18).  The King of glory is magnified in our weakness, not in our strength.  See your sin; see the Savior.

-Ryan

p.s. If you are interested in being helped and challenged in the area of your pride I would encourage you to read C. J. Mahaney's book, Humility: True Greatness.

No comments:

Post a Comment