Thursday, December 2, 2010

The Christmas season is a great time to heed the warning of Hebrews 2:1 which tells us, "Therefore we must pay much closer attention to what we have heard lest we drift away from it."  But one might say, "I won't drift away.  I am eternally secure."  Well part of my answer to that is that one aspect of the means that God will use to keep you is your work of paying much closer attention.  This leads me to the reason for this post.  I want to recommend a book to bless you as you seek to set your eyes of faith on Christ during Christmas.

The book is entitled Come, Thou Long-Expected Jesus (click the title to be taken to Crossway's site).  It is, and I quote, "an anthology of Advent readings collected from the writings and sermons of 22 classic and contemporary theologians and Bible teachers."  Shelly and I picked up this little book last year and we were both greatly encouraged and I am again finding it to be wonderful source of food for my soul this year.  Many of the authors are some of my all-time favorites - contributors like John Piper, J. Ligon Duncan, Randy Alcorn, John MacArthur, Francis Schaeffer, R. C. Sproul, Skip Ryan, Joni Eareckson Tada, Martin Luther, Jonathan Edwards, etc...  With a line up like that how could one not be challenged and encouraged!

So, what will you do to heed the call and warning of Hebrews.  Brothers and sisters, we must pay much closer attention to what we have heard.

Striving alongside you,

~Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment